I read Nubia’s blogpost today on The Fault in Our Stars. It was very thoughtful and she had a lot of interesting ideas that I never would have thought about before, though I’ve read the book several times. Before I read her post, I never really realized the huge importance of setting in the book. For example, she writes about how the setting was significant in the scene at the dinner in Amsterdam, the Anne Frank house, and the days when Gus was dying.
One scene that Nubia analyzed very well was the scene at the Anne Frank house. She explains how when Hazel let go of her oxygen tank it is almost symbolic. It shows how important Hazel and Gus’s relationship was to Hazel. It also foreshadows a little because it conveys that Hazel is in love with Gus so much that she would risk her life for him, which actually happens later in the book.
In addition, Nubia did a great job analyzing the scene at the restaurant for dinner in Amsterdam. She wrote about how Hazel quickly described her surroundings but then goes into great detail to describe Gus. It shows how even from the beginning, Hazel really did love Gus because nothing else really matters.
I really like how Nubia formatted her response. It was very clear and made it very easy to read. I agree with mostly everything that she wrote about. I also think that you could tie this back to the real world.A lot of times people surrounded themselves with settings that make themselves feel comfortable. For example, people often live in certain places because it makes them feel a certain way. So where a person lives can show a little bit about them. This also happened in this book when they go to Amsterdam they feel like they need a vacation from everything crazy going on in their lives at the moment. By escaping to Amsterdam, it was almost like they also wanted to escape their cancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment